Wright Flyer Replica

The original Flyer was flown four times by Orville and Wilbur Wright on December 17, 1903, near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, becoming the first powered heavier-than-air craft to display sustained controllable flight.  The original is on display in the National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. 

The replica aircraft was commissioned by the State of Minnesota to celebrate the centennial of the first flight in 2003.  It was built by Flight Expo Inc., a volunteer nonprofit group in Princeton, Minnesota, which has loaned the aircraft to Wings of the North for display. 

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Length: 21 ft 1 in (6.43 m)
Wingspan: 40 ft 4 in (12.29 m)
Height: 9 ft 0 in (2.74 m)
Wing area: 510 sq ft (47 m2)
Empty weight: 605 lb (274 kg)
Max takeoff weight: 745 lb (338 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × straight-4 water-cooled piston engine, 4 inches (102 mm)
bore by 4 inches (102 mm) stroke.[3] , 12 hp (8.9 kW) 170 lbs (77.11 kg), (2
x Wright “Elliptical” props, 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m), port prop carved to
counter-rotate left, starboard prop carved to rotate to the right)

Performance

Maximum speed: 30 mph (48 km/h, 26 kn)
Service ceiling: 30 ft (9.1 m)
Wing loading: 1.4 lb/sq ft (6.4 kg/m2)
Power/mass: 0.02 hp/lb (15 W/kg)